AMTA is pleased to announce that we are now offering the opportunity to apply for Fellowships and Stipends. If you would like to apply please complete the online form below.
All applicants should have
|Click image for
Application for AMTA Fellowships and Stipends
Background: The Affordable Desalination Collaboration (ADC) has donated funding to the American Membrane Technology Association (AMTA) for “fellowships or stipends” on an annual basis through 2018. The ADC was founded with a mission to advance the knowledge and understanding of desalination cost, energy and promising advances in these areas. AMTA is North America’s leading information source on membrane technology and applications – helping to solve water supply and quality issues through the widespread application of membrane technology (refer to: https://www.amtaorg.com/about-amta/). AMTA is requesting applications from worthy applicants to fund the following types of activities:
- Graduate Level Research Fellowship – Fellowships would help to offset the student costs at U.S. universities for full-time Masters or Ph.D. level research in the area of membrane technology. Ideal candidates will have selected a research topic that will have a focus on cost, energy and/or water quality related improvements to the treatment of municipal, industrial or agricultural waters using membrane technologies. A portion of the total award should be used to off-set travel and registration costs to prepare and present a paper or poster on their research at an AMTA event.
- Undergraduate Research – Student funding for research using membrane technology for the treatment of municipal, industrial or agricultural waters. The experience would result in the production of data that advances the science of membrane technology for this purpose. Ideal candidates will work under the direction of a professor and graduate student to generate additional data required for the graduate student’s research – leading to a peer reviewed publication. Proposers should plan to use a portion of the award money for the purpose of preparing a paper or poster and presenting the results an AMTA event.
- AMTA Event Registrations – One or more awards may also be made to a public agency or university to offset travel and registration costs for the agency or university staff (i.e., professor, Masters and/or PhD level candidate, operator) to attend and present material of interest at an AMTA event. Material of interest may include:
- Regulatory or operational experiences (i.e., problems and solutions) related to the application of membrane technology.
- Innovative treatment concepts leading to cost and/or energy reduction for membrane technology applications.
- Innovative treatment concepts leading to addressing unique water quality issues in a cost effective manner through the use of membrane technology.
Award Amount: A total of $10,000 annually will be distributed through this program. This may include one award of $10,000 or multiple awards of a smaller denomination. Application Form and Contents:
- All applications should include:
- Application form (see following page)
- Resume for applicant
- Preliminary abstract of the material to be presented at an AMTA event
- Sponsor letter of recommendation and support from university professor, department chair and/or public agency department head indicating the control measures that will be employed to ensure that the work generated through this grant will be of high quality, meaningful to AMTA’s members and in the spirit of the money given to AMTA by the ADC for this purpose.
- Budget summary for grant use including labor, travel, registration and other indirect costs.
- Deadline for submission: each year is June 1st
- Award preference will be given to those applications submitted or sponsored by AMTA members
- Awards may be granted directly to a sponsor or to the student
- The money awarded cannot be burdened with overhead fees by a sponsoring university or public agency. The award applicant should identify a budget that indicates, using line items, how the money will be spent.
- Award recipient will be required to provide social security number to AMTA for tax filing purposes prior to receiving funds