Advancing Membranes in the Upper Midwest
This AMTA/NWMOA Joint Technology Transfer Workshop will focus on advancing membranes in the Upper Midwest. An optional tour at the City of Fargo Effluent Reuse Plant is available to attendees. Topics will include the approval process for membranes in drinking water systems in North Dakota, pretreatment considerations, membrane case studies in the Upper Midwest, retrofitting membrane plants, cleaning and extending the life of membranes and membrane advancements. The workshop will also include a membrane technology expo, a plant tour of the City of Fargo Water Treatment Plant and an optional tour at the City of Fargo Reuse Plant.
To View Brochure – click on the brochure image at right.
Wednesday, August 4, 2021
SESSION 1 : MEMBRANE BASICS, REGULATIONS, OVERVIEW
Moderator: Nathan Kutil, HDR, Inc.
- Membrane Math
Dan Hugaboom, P.E., Carollo Engineers, Inc.
- Membrane Approval Process for Drinking Water Systems in North Dakota
Bryan Schmitt, North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality
- Membrane System Pretreatment: Objectives, options and Operations
Delvin DeBoer, Ph.D., P.E., Advanced Engineering & Environmental Services, Inc. (AE2S)
- Membrane Cleaning Basics
Darrell Byrer, American Water Chemicals, Inc.
- Incorporating Zeta Potential to Optimize Membrane Performance, Achieve Regulatory Compliance and Reduce Operating Costs
Gregg McLeod, HDR, Inc.
- Grand Forks Regional WTP – An Innovative Facility for Modern Water Quality Challenges
Jordan Grasser, P.E., Advanced Engineering & Environmental Services, Inc. (AE2S)
SESSION 2: Facility Tour
Moderator: Adam Zach, P.E., Advanced Engineering & Environmental Services, Inc. (AE2S)
- City of Fargo Water Treatment Plant Overview
Troy Hall, City of Fargo WTP
- Facility Tour
Thursday, August 5, 2021
SESSION 3: Membrane Case Studies
Moderator: Jac Miller, City of Bozeman WTP
- Operating an Over Built Plant
Jill Miller, City of Bozeman WTP
- No-Break Fiber Solves Membrane Integrity Problems at Five Water Treatment Plants
David Holland, Aqua-Aerobic Systems, Inc.
- Best Practices for MF/UF Cleaning – Examining Operating Plant Methods
Karla Kinser, Burns and McDonnell
- RO Pretreatment in the Upper Midwest: What the Last 25 Years Has Taught Us
Ken Robinson, Avista Technologies, Inc.
- A Case Study of OMND UF/RO Plant in Zap, ND
Madalyn Epple, Toray Membrane USA, Inc.
- Designing MF/UF Systems for Low Maintenance: 10 Year’s Experience at Two North Dakota Installations
Michael Bourke, Wigen Water Technologies
SESSION 4: Membrane Applications/Advancements
- Wastewater vs. Driving Water Cleaning
Jeff Hoff, City of Fargo
- Innovative Alternatives for Enhanced Recovery of NF/RO Systems
Brent Alspach, P.E., BCEE, Arcadis
- Tue Decades of Successful Low-Pressure Membrane Filtration of Surface Water in Tennessee – Lessons Learned
Randal Braker, Duck River Utility Commission
Registration for the AMTA/NWMOA Joint Technology Transfer Workshop is now open. For the best prices, register by Friday, July 16th.
Make your lodging arrangements directly with the Delta Hotels by Marriott Fargo by phone at (701) 277-9000. Refer to AMTA for the discounted room rate (discounted rate is available until July 16, 2021).