As RO desalination facilities are being implemented in drought-affected areas, California has responded by adding a desalination amendment to the California Ocean Plan in which desalination plants are required to dilute the discharged brine with wastewater effluent before being discharged to the ocean. The colocation of desalination facilities with wastewater treatment plants offers the opportunity to utilize the wastewater effluent in ways that exceed the benefits of simply diluting the concentrated brine before discharge. The presentation will illustrate novel hybrid osmotically driven system that have the potential to reduce primary energy use and minimize environmental impacts.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Andrea Achilli, PhD / Lori Jones
- Humboldt State University / University of Illinois
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, Long Beach, CA
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Membrane, Seawater, Research, Desalination, Energy, Reverse Osmosis