Fouling has always been an issue in all membrane systems, and it is more problematic when concentration polarization (CP) is high.This research investigates how patterns can affect CP layer in a reverse osmosis (RO) or nanofiltration (NF) system by evaluating the effects of velocity, pressure drop, concentration distribution and shear stress on the fluid flow around the features. It studies the hydrodynamic influence caused by the patterns, and sets the foundation for further studies on fouling reduction in patterned membrane systems.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Zuo Zhou / Steven Weinman / Sapna Sarupria / Scott Husson / Ilenia Battiato / David A. Ladner, PhD, PE
- Clemson University / Stanford University
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Reverse Osmosis, Concentration Polarization, Computational Fluid Dynamics