Algae blooms in seawater present a challenge for desalination plants and are highly variable and are a function of several conditions arising from currents and upwelling; also they can vary widely in species, magnitude, and frequency. An extensive study to determine the characteristics of the Southern California algae blooms and to cultivate them in a lab setting for pilot testing for worst-case scenario conditions. This method of demonstrating adequate plant design will be a great interest to the desalination community given the varied and site-specific dynamics of algae blloms.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Jon Loveland / Ellen Valdez
- Poseidon Water LLC / GHD Group
- AWWA/AMTA Membrane Technology Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- AWWA/AMTA Membrane Technology Conference
- Pilot Test Design, Implementaion, Algal Bloom Challenge