This paper updates the current status of the new desalination technologies and provides comparison with respect to the principles of operation, source(s) of energy required, scalability to large scale applications, potential environmental impacts, footprint, operating parameters (such as recovery, treated water quality), and potential environmental impacts. Emerging and established technologies are compared and a variety of options are summarized including Electrodialysis Metathesis (EDM), Thermo-Ionic Desalination, Forward Osmosis, and Carbon Nanotube membranes.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Srinivas Veerapaneni, PhD, PE / Rick Bond, PE / Xi Zhao
- Black & Veatch Corporation
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, Orlando, FL
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Thermo-Ionic Desalination, Electrodialysis Metathesis (EDM), Membrane Distillation, Biomemitic membranes, Forward Osmosis