This paper discuss’ wellfield sand issues and how they impacted a RO system operation. This paper also gives an overview of the progression of the wellfield solutions, starting with the addition of basket strainers, to well redevelopment, and eventually to the installation of automatic backwashing sand strainers. The overview includes a summary of the evaluation of the sand strainer options, the design concepts related to adding backwashing strainers, and actual operating data. After more than six months of operation, the sand strainers performed well and extended cartridge filter life by several months. It was noted that careful consideration of the design of the strainers, control system, and backwash management is required to ensure continued reliability.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Joseph Elarde, PE / Byron Weightman
- CH2M HILL, Inc. / City of Fort Myers
- AMTA/SEDA Joint Conference, Naples, FL
- AMTA/SEDA Joint Conference
- Reverse Osmosis, Automatic Backwashing Strainers, sand removal