This paper will describe the use of a unique organics characterization method, liquid chromatography with on-line carbon detection to identify the primary cause of organic fouling in two fouling scale ultrafiltration plants, biopolymers and cTEP, and how the LC-OCD results
were used to mitigate the impacts of these foulants through optimization of pretreatment and chemical cleaning protocols. Additionally, the paper will describe bench scale testing of a variety of oxidation approaches (high dose chlorination, ozone and advanced oxidation) to break down the foulants to compounds that do not cause membrane fouling.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Jim C. Lozier, PE / Aaron Balczewski / Binga Talabi
- JACOBS / Evoqua Water Technologies LLC / City of Scottsdale
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Organic Membrane Fouling, Biopolymers and cTEP