Reverse osmosis (RO) desalination may be used for desalination of brackish and saline waters, but the product water may have low concentrations of hardness and alkalinity, which may corrode infrastructure. Addition of pH, hardness, and alkalinity may be required to meet potable water guidelines. Upflow calcite contactors may be used instead of lime or caustic addition for post-treatment of RO permeate to deliver non-blended, stable, non-corrosive finished water.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- W. Shane Walker, PhD / Luis Maldonado / Justin Sutherland, PhD, PE / Winnie Shih, PhD
- The University of Texas at El Paso / Carollo Engineers, Inc.
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, San Antonio, TX
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Mass Transfer, Reverse Osmosis, Post-Treatment, Calcite, remineralization