This paper discusses results of an extensive pilot study conducted for City of Dunedin to evaluate pretreatment options for treating groundwater containing Fe and Mn with RO. Processes tested include several oxidants (Cl2, ClO2, O3, KMnO4 and combinations of some of them), 3 types of media (sand, greensand plus, pyrolusite), two UFs (ceramic and polymeric), and four different RO membranes. Further, direct comparison of RO performance when operated in parallel when treating water from media filters and UF was also done. Results from this study indicated virtually no different in RO membrane performance between two pretreatments, comparable performance of some of the media filtration and varied results with oxidants.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Srinivas Veerapaneni, PhD, PE / Russell Ferlita, PhD, PE / Ryan Eck, PE / Paul Biscardi, E.I. / Andre Dieffenthaller, PE / Aswathi Pradeep / Andy Westwall, PE
- Black & Veatch Corporation / City of Dunedin / Black & Veatch Corporation / Hazen and Sawyer / Hazen and Sawyer / Black & Veatch Corporation / Black & Veatch Corporation
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- RO Pretreatment, Dunedin, Media Filtration