Reducing energy consumption is critical for lowering the cost of desalination and addressing environmental concerns about greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the continued use of conventional fossil fuels as the primary energy source for seawater desalination plants.In this study, a comprehensive literature review was conducted to gather information on emerging desalination technologies followed by a pilot-scale study to evaluate nanocomposite RO membranes (NanoH2O Inc.) and closed circuit RO technology (Desalitech Inc.) for seawater desalination.This paper presents a review of promising and innovative desalination technologies available for energy minimization followed by results obtained from the pilot-scale study.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Arun Subramani / Joe Jacangelo, PhD / Nikolay Voutchkov, PE, D.E.E.
- MWH Global, Inc. / Water Globe Consulting
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, San Antonio, TX
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- energy consumption, seawater desalination, greenhouse gasses,