This paper discussed the theoretical and experimental validation of a water gap membrane distillation (WGMD) process that has been successfully tested for seawater desalination. A detailed investigation on the influence of thickness of the water gap was carried in this study. Water vapor flux enhancement in the WGMD process is been described with the help of a theoretical explanation of heat and mass transfer mechanisms through the membrane and water gap. A theoretical explanation of the natural convection during the WGMD process is described in this paper.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Lijo Francis, Ph.D. / Noreddine Ghaffour, Ph.D. / Ahmad AlSaadi / Gary L. Amy
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- AWWA/AMTA Membrane Technology Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- AWWA/AMTA Membrane Technology Conference
- water gap membrane distillation, WGMD