The West Basin Municipal Water District (West Basin) is implementing ozone pretreatment of its non-nitrified secondary effluent as part of an expansion of the Edward C. Little Water Recycling Plant (ECLWRF) in El Segundo, California. This project is intended to improve water production for existing polypropylene microfiltration (MF) membranes in the seawater intrusion barrier water treatment train at ECLWRF. However, additional MF capacity in the expansion is provided by polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) membranes. In preparation for full-scale design and operation of ozonation with the new MF units, West Basin commissioned a pilot study to examine the effect of ozone pretreatment on the operation of PVDF MF membranes. Unexpected challenges with inorganic fouling were encountered and resolved during pilot testing. Ozone pretreatment was found to improve MF performance beyond the original design criteria.
This presentation is available to AMTA Members only.
- Fredrick W. Gerringer / Rajen Budhia
- Trussell Technologies, Inc.
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference, San Antonio, TX
- AMTA/AWWA Membrane Technology Conference
- Micro Filtration, Optimizing, Ozone, Pretreatment,MF, El Segundo, TMP, Fluorescence